Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Really, What is Marketing?

by Victor J. McCoy
 

In its most basic definition, marketing is making products or providing services (made available) to a specific audience. That group can be large or very small but it should satisfy the customers need (the "need" can be questionable) or produce some type of benefit - while generating profits for the company. Basically, you must identify those that want to buy or use your "stuff". For example, I have no need nor desire to wear men's red dress shoes. Therefore I am not a good target for that sale. Some of my demographic profile  may say I am - I'm male or a certain age. But, if you drill down into my buying habits and other data you will see that I don't wear red shoes or any color other than black or brown. But, there may be men who love red dress shoes and may search for them online. Now, how would you know I "will not" wear red dress shoes? How would you locate those who would? Where are those who would? And, how much are they willing to pay for those shoes? This is the essence effective marketing.


The second aspect I believe should be understood concerning the definition of marketing is competition. You may not be the only company online or offline selling red dress shoes. You may find in your research 1,000 other companies across the U.S selling the same thing.How will you compete with them? How will you persuade the consumer to buy from you? Will you sell the same shoe for less? How will you distribute the item? So, marketing in its basic definition as about finding your audience and persuading them to purchase from your company - at a profit.


No comments: